So after much deliberation and faffing around with various different flash guns (AKA strobes if you’re reading this in the US), triggers and stands here it is – my complete portable lighting kit. It consists of:
- RF60 Cactus Wireless Flash x 2
- V6 Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver
- Manfrotto Nano Black Stand x 2
- Lastolite 53cm Translucent Umbrella + Lastolite Tilthead
- Calumet Satin White Compact Umbrella + Calumet Umbrella Adapter with Hot Shoe
- Lastolite 50cm Silver/White Reflector
- Honl Photo Speed Gobo/Reflector
This is the basic kit I now carry to shoots for use both indoors and outdoors. I sometimes also supplement this kit with the following:
- Lastolite Ezybox plus additional Lastolite Tilthead (no longer made but here is the current model)
- 5 in 1 1m Reflector (unknown origin)
- Additional V6 Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver for use with:
- Canon 430 Ex II Speedlight
The Cactus transceiver attaches to the Canon Speedlight allowing for a third light source when needed. I usually place this light on its provided light stand in a convenient place when I want to get a bit more light into a corner. I don’t generally use a stand for this.
Here’s the lighting as set up in a recent studio shoot with a client. The background is not mine but provided by the studio and is from the Lastolite Urban Background range.
And here are some of the resulting images.
[…] played around a lot with off camera flash and whenever I do a portrait shoot try and bring the minimum amount of kit […]
[…] Lighting – Cactus lighting plus brollies etc from my portable lighting kit. […]
[…] rely on others to provide my lighting needs but instead to invest (or actually further invest as I already owned some lighting) in my own set of studio […]