In a previous post I discussed how I had decided to invest in my own studio lighting that I could easily pack up and transport with me when doing studio shoots. This has the obvious advantage I don’t have to rely on the vagaries of what’s on offer at the studio and means I can control the type and quality of light on a shoot. It also means I’m not constrained to a traditional studio but can shoot anywhere, even outside assuming I can get power to the lighting. Here’s the portable studio I’ve now acquired.
With the exception of the softbox this all fits in the plastic crate shown (just about) so is fairly transportable. It will also fit in a large holdall if I need to carry it on public transport.
- Elinchrom D-Lite RX 2
- Elinchrom D-Lite RX 4
- Elinchrom Rotalux Softbox Octa 135 cm
- Elinchrom EL-Skyport Transmitter Plus
- Elinchrom 18cm Reflector and Grid
- Manfrotto Nano Light Stand x 2
- Cactus Wireless Flash RF60 x 2
- Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 (no longer available see Mk II)
- Calumet 36″ Silver/White Umbrella x 2
- Manfrotto/Lastolite Tilthead Brackets x 2
For now this kit satisfies all my needs by way of lighting. Obviously if I need backgrounds etc then they need to be acquired/borrowed however most studios have these. This kit allows me to take the type of image shown at the top if this article (in this case the two D-Lites and the Rotalux softbox) and is quite flexible in terms of lighting styles I can achieve so has been a good investment.